What's holding you back from building the freelance business of your dreams?
If you're reading this, you've probably dreamed about what it would be like to work for yourself as a freelancer or independent consultant.
You've probably stayed up late reading blogs and forum posts, watching youtube videos, or listening to podcast interviews with other people who have successfully made the leap into entrepreneurship. You might have even thought to yourself, "That person is so lucky. I would LOVE to quit my job and start my own business."
But instead of taking action, you just keep reading...and watching...and listening.
Why is that?
What is it that's holding you back from chasing your dreams?
Let's run through some of the common responses:
- "I don't know how to find enough clients to replace my current income."
- "I'm intimidated by all of the 'business-y stuff.' Things like bookkeeping, taxes, contracts, and expense tracking make my head spin."
- "I have people who rely on me to support them financially. I can't put them in jeopardy."
- "There are people in my life who would judge me for 'not having a real job.'"
- "I'm afraid that I'll quit my job to try freelancing and fail. Then I'm left with a sore ego and no source of income."
- "I don't know the first thing about running a business. I wouldn't even know where to start."
Those are just a few of the excuses we see in our inbox every single day. Usually, the email starts off with something like this:
I REALLY want to quit my job and start freelancing, but...
Well, we're sick of watching people stay in jobs that they hate or put off their dreams (like raising their children or traveling the world) just because they don't have the resources they need to confidently go into business for themselves.That's why we're building Start Your Freelance Career (SYFC), a step-by-step playbook for building and growing a sustainable freelance business from scratch.
Over the last few years, we've taken a few lumps while experimenting with things like sales strategies, pricing, contracts, client management techniques, marketing funnels, and other business processes.
Eventually, we got things pretty dialed in, which helped us not only build thriving independent practices, but also scale those businesses up into six and seven-figure agencies.
With SYFC, we're going to consolidate all of the lessons we've learned building our own businesses and package them up in a structured, actionable course that will take you from nothing to earning your first $1,000 (and more!).
Think of it like Couch to 5k
for building a freelance business.
We're building this course in service of our core mission at Digital Freelancer
- help others start, learn, and grow their own freelance career. Our goals are simple:
- Give you the inspiration and knowledge needed to help get you started in your own freelance career without falling flat on your face.
- Empower you to take action and execute on your own ideas with confidence because of the lessons and tactics provided by this course.
If freelancing is a dream of yours...
If you like the idea of making your own schedule...
If you want to spend more time with your family...
If you want to be able to travel more...
If you’d like to take control of how much you earn...
If any of the many perks of a freelance lifestyle sound appealing to you, then you're going to LOVE Start Your Freelance Career.
What's Covered In The Course?
The list below is a snapshot of what we are currently planning to cover in the course. We're still working hard on developing the course content, so this overview is subject to change.
However, you can rest assured that we will include all of the critical pieces necessary to take you from knowing absolutely nothing about freelancing to starting and running a sustainable independent business.
Starting Your Freelance Career
- Planning for The Transition to Freelancing
- Writing Your "Stupidly Simple" Business Plan
- Startup Costs and Requirements
- Legal Considerations
- Finances and Cash Flow
- Making the Leap
- Determining Your Pricing Structure
- Setting Your Rate(s)
- Communicating Your Value
- Increasing Your Rates
Branding Your Freelance Business
- Personal vs. Corporate Branding
- Elements of A Compelling Brand
- Identifying Your Professional Positioning
- Communicating Your Brand Message
"Day in the Life" of a Freelancer
- Planning and Strategy
- Routines and Habits
- Time Management
- Systems, Tools, and Processes
- Physical and Mental Health
Working with Clients
- Building Your Ideal Client Profile
- Finding Your First Clients
- Lead Generation Strategies
- Establishing A Sales Process
- Negotiation Principles
- Client Management
- Asset Management
- Sub-contracting and Referrals
- Having Tough Conversations
- Knowing When to Say "No"
Managing Your Freelance Finances
- Payment Terms and Conditions
- Invoicing Clients
- DIY or Outsourced Accounting
- Cash Flow Projections and Management
Marketing Your Freelance Business
- Identifying and Testing Marketing Channels
- Building Your One Page Marketing Plan
- Upsells, Cross-sells, and Referrals
- Building Your Professional Network
- Becoming A Trusted Authority
- Cold Call/Email Strategies and Tactics
- Joint Ventures and Partnerships
- Calculating Your Marketing ROI
Scaling Your Freelance Business
- Identifying Key Business Metrics
- Tracking The Stats That Move The Needle
- Forming Partnerships
- Hiring, Sub-Contracting, Outsourcing, and Automation
- Diversifying Your Income Streams
Sounds great! So what should I do next?
While you were reading all of that, we were working on the course content. We're not sure when the course will be ready for primetime, but we know if will be soon.
If you're interested in any of this...
Receiving exclusive sneak peaks of course content
Providing input to help us make sure we cover everything
Testing out tip sheets and other course resources prior to launch
Getting early (possibly free) access to the course content and lessons
- Locking in a BIG launch day discount
... then you should scroll back up to the top of this page and enter your email address in the sign-up form.
We'll be in touch soon with progress updates and requests for feedback.
Talk to you soon!